Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sixty is the New Forty? Me thinks not!

My cardiologist told me that 60 is the new 40. I don't think so!

When I was 40, my breasts were perky, my face had no lines, there was nary a strand of gray in my hair (on my head or elsewhere), and cellulite was something I'd only seen on others.60 the new 40? I don't think so.

When I was 40, only older people died. Even if they were a friend, they were considerably older. Not so today. People my age, or only a year or two older, are dying. We think we're young, and we certainly are compared to our parents who are still alive and in their 80s or 90s, but 40, we are absolutely not.

I watch the famous people of my generation with their face-lifts leaving them virtually unrecognizable except for the sound of their voices.
They don't really look younger -- just odd, just different.
  • Why didn't they realize they were beautiful?
  • Why didn't they see the lines and wrinkles only added character?
  • Why are people afraid of aging while simultaneously doing everything to stay alive longer?
Is someone not understanding that to have a long life means you will age? You will either go bald or your hair will turn gray; women will get facial hair while men sprout breasts; you will probably have some aches and pains; you may get senile; and you will die.

In the meantime, all of you who are still young and wrinkle free: ENJOY. Enjoy your life. Enjoy your youth. Embrace everything you can, even the bad times, and then go and celebrate your youth and your life.
And one more thing: don’t let your triceps get flabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment