Thursday, October 1, 2009

Phone calls vs. Facebook & Emails

The dreaded news came that our friend died this morning. This time I found out by his wife's brief post on Facebook, followed by bulk emails from her and a friend of hers.
The electronic and internet worlds are wonderful in keeping us connected, but ever since I received a message left on my answering machine back in 1991 that a good friend had died, I have realized there is something disturbing about reading or hearing a message of death and having no one to speak to. Fortunately, if one would call it that, when my friend, Sharon, died in 1991, I already knew before the call came. Even so, I found the taped message disturbing.
When the email about my cousin and then today's Facebook/emails arrived, I was home alone and had to sit by myself with all the unshared emotions and wasn't sure what my next step was. Since the news came via the internet, I didn't feel I could follow my natural inclination, which would be to buy some food, bring it over and pay a personal visit. Instead, I left messages on her phone and email box.
I understand the need to get the information out to as many people as possible, but there is something to be said about speaking to real human beings. I guess I'm old-fashioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment