Thursday, October 29, 2009

Are You Trusting A Scorpion?

We've all had friends we trusted and loved. Friends we found out, only after they'd hurt us, weren't really our friends.

What I learned late in life was to pay attention to what people do. There's a saying, "Your actions are speaking so loud that I can't hear a word that you're saying." So despite the nice words your "friend" may be saying that lull you into believing they truly are your friend and deserve your loyalty, pay attention to what they do. There are just some people who are going to hurt you no matter how nice, generous, or wonderful you are to them.

Here's the story of the Scorpion and the Turtle.


A scorpion came up to a turtle who was standing at the side of a river and asked, "Will you let me ride on your back across the river?"

"You want to ride on my back?" the scorpion asked, incredulously. "If I let you ride on my back you'll sting me and I will die."

The scorpion, in soothing tones, responded, "Of course I won't do that. I just want to get across the river and if I sting you, we'll both die."

This sounded reasonable to the turtle, so he said, "That makes sense. Hop on."

When they reached the center of the river, the scorpion stung the turtle. "Why did you do that?" the turtle screamed, as they began to sink.

"I couldn't help myself," responded the scorpion. "it's my nature."

No comments:

Post a Comment