Thursday, October 22, 2009

Be Kind

My mother knew she was dying. Two weeks before her death, as I was leaving her room, she said: Being kind, having fun, and loving are the most important things.



Kindness. It's such a simple word and idea, yet often there is too little of it in our world.

Today, I was honored to hear two remarkable 22-year-old women tell their stories of how they came to found Kind Campaign. They have crossed the United States filming the stories of girls who have been bullied or have bullied others. They have a website filled with letters from teens and adults who have taken the time to write out their apologies to those they hurt by unkindness.

Unkindness can be mean words, actions, or even the absence of action. You may wonder about what I mean by "absence of action." That's when you see someone being hurt by others and you say and do nothing. That's not good enough. We all need awareness about the consequences of our actions or inactions -- sad consequences that can lead to a lifetime of sadness, insecurity, depression, and lack of love.

Please visit http://www.kindcampaign.com/ and learn how you can help to spread kindness in this world.

And by the way, if you're my friend, I want to thank you for always being kind to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment